150 years since Euphrasie Barbier started the mission sisters must feel good and to celebrate, Saint John Bosco School decided to plant a tree. if you don't know who Euphrasie-Adele Barbier is search the bottom for facts
father blessing us with holy water >>
On January 4, 1829 Euphrasie-Adele Barbier was born in Caen France. In 1847 she joined a missionary called Sisters of calvary. 4 years later she was sent to London and the Sisters of calvary changed its name to Congregation of compassion. Here Euphrasie, constantly progressing in virtue and in the interior life, she devoted herself to numerous works of charity. Tried by severe illness and painful humiliation, she bore all with nobility and fortitude and when it became obvious that the institute itself had been deflected from its missionary purpose, Barbier obtained permission to transfer to the Congregation of the Marist Sisters so that she could be sent to Oceana. Barbier arrived in Lyons, France on August 15 1861 , where in the special plan of God she had to wait, and with the cooperation to which she gave the title of Our Lady of the Missions. In 1864 the first Sisters were sent to New Zealand missions. Barbier was a woman of strong personality, determined to maintain her independence to develop and direct her institute free of detailed supervision by local bishops. The Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions made a major contribution to both Moari and Pakeha echurch in 1873 Education.